we are looking for someone with an interest to embellish this page, please get in
touch if you think you are that person
It is believed that North Kyme first became a settlement after the Romans constructed
the Carr Dyke which ran for 56 miles from Washingborough on the River Witham to the
River Nene at Peterborough. Before the Carr Dyke the valley between Lincoln and Tattershall
would have been a vast morass.
At North Kyme the Romans had an encampment which is believed to have been situated
slightly south of the present village on what is now Ferry lane. The Normans followed
and moved their encampment northwards to where the present village now stands. The
legacy of the Normans still stays with us today with the French name of one of our
roads Vacherie Lane.
A few years before the closure of the school Nora Everard an elderly resident of
North Kyme came to the school to talk to the children about what life was like in
times past. The talk was recorded and written down.
There are several house names that have "decoy" in the name, This is a reminder that
before the fens were professionally drained by the Earl of Lincoln in in 1653 that
much of the low lying land was marsh. Enormous duck traps were set up to stock the
larders of the great houses in the region as well as put food onto the tables of
the hunters. These traps were known as decoys.
North Kyme Decoy, 3 miles NNW. of the last, 2 miles SSE. of Billinghay, and 4½ miles
SW. of Tattershall. This Decoy was placed at the W. corner of Drury Dyke, in North
Since the draining of the fens Kyme has been predominantly a farming area. It can
be seen by the population below that the numbers living in the village were at their
highest in the 1870s where land working was very labour intensive before the revolution
of farm machinery.
In present times North kyme offers very little employment in the village its self
and is mainly a satellite commuter village for the Lincoln, Sleaford and the near
bye RAF station of Conningsby.
Extract from Kelly’s Directory describing North Kyme
Information taken from heritage gateway
North kyme dates from around 1000AD, however artefacts have been discovered from
the bronze age as well as Roman times. These artefacts including a stone child's
coffin and bronze axe head are retained by residents of the village, and may be viewed
by contacting the web site. These finds were made on higher ground between North
and South Kyme leading us to believe there have been settlers here for many centuries.
There were two manors in North Kyme, known at the time as Nortchime (in the Doomsday
book). One of these manors was owned by Robert Todeni, which had been owned previously
by Mere. Colsuain also had a manor near the village which included a fishery rendering
8 pence. The minimum population at the time of the Doomsday survey was 14.
It is suggested that the name Kyme is derived from the old English for “a depression
or hollow”. The settlements at the Kymes lie on areas of higher ground north and
south of a shallow depression. The two settlements are distinguished as North and
In 1563 the were 35 households
In 1801 the population was 215, peaking in 1871 at 734. The population in 1901 stood
at 576. The population of the village as of 2011 is 535.