Methodism was first introduced into the village of North Kyme in the middle of the
1820s. Groups met to worship in the homes of Thomas Mayfield, Francis Bembridge,
and Joseph Lightfoot. The first society dates from 1831 when Thomas Mayfield licensed
his house for services. In1829 the District Synod had proposed that a Chapel be
erected in North Kyme. This was not done, and the first known Chapel was built in
1848.(Now number 88 Main Street)
The Ecclesiastical Census of March 30th 1851 revealed their was an attendance of
63 people in the afternoon, with 41 children in the morning Sunday school. This
was signed by Joseph Lightfoot who was a steward and farmer.
The history of North Kyme Methodist chapel
1875 - 1982
Over the years the numbers of worshipers increased and plans were drawn for a much
larger Chapel with schoolroom attached. Some of the money was raised by members
holding weekly teas in their homes with plum and seed cake made by the Torey family.
Pictured here is Susan Sharman with children Mary and Sue worshipers at the Methodist
chapel in North Kyme in its early days.
Ruth and Martha, Susan Sharman's younger children have written their memories of
going to the chapel in the 1920s. They can be read towards the end of this page.
The site across the road (now number 80/80a main street) was given by Robert Lightfoot
son of the above Joseph Lightfoot. On September 9th 1874 the stone laying took place.
These were laid by Joseph Lightfoot (junior) Mrs R. Ravell and J.M.Coles of Roxholme
Hall. It is recorded that Mr. Francis Bembridge gave £50 towards the building fund.
Joseph Toynbee’s memory was marked by the presentation of an oak cabinet for the
bible and hymn book. The Family also supplied the bible and hymn book when the new
chapel was opened and this continued in use until it closed.
The opening of the new Chapel took place on January 28th 1875, the services were
conducted by the Reverend William Andrews Chairman of the district. At this time
the harmonium from the old Chapel was put into the school room and a new American
organ bought for the chapel.
In 1924 the Jubilee was celebrated and gifts of a pair of vases from the Toynbee
family (now in St. Lukes), an individual communion set from Susan Goodman, a pair
of collection plates from Margaret Goodman. A piano was bought for the schoolroom.
In 1938 2 new west windows consisting of leaded lights were installed in memory
of Robert Goodman. The other windows were renewed with glass tinted green to tone
with the two at the end.
Also around this time a font was given in memory of William Dickinson by Ernest
The family of Elizabeth Dodd, nee Lightfoot, placed a plaque in the chapel in memory
of their mother.
The Chapel Organ and Organists
The next event of note was the purchase in 1950 of a two manual and pedals pipe organ
at a cost of £1030;00. The pipes were fitted over the entrance porch. The woodwork
was undertaken by G Swallow and Rowland Hill. Rowland Hill was the organist since
his early teens and he was also Sunday school superintendent and he was succeeded
as organist and superintendent by Eileen Goodman.
The organ was recognised as one of the best in the area and is now in the Northgate
Methodist Church Sleaford.
Also, William “Bill” Miller, and Mick Andrews played the organ on the retirement
of Eileen Goodman.
Mr Henry Panton and Mr George Taylor were Chapel stewards.
Pictured Chapel Steward Henry Panton
In 1960 Mr. J, W. Tonge gave a plot of land adjacent to the Chapel for use as a car
In 1966 the coke stoves were removed and electric heating installed.
The centenary of the Chapel was celebrated in1974 but sadly the Chapel was closed
in September 1982 due to the falling number of worshipers and rising maintenance
A photo taken after the last service 1982
The building was sold to a local food wholesaler and used for storage until it was
demolished in 1984 and housing replaced the Chapel.
The remaining Methodists joined St.Lukes Church in the village and have formed a
happy liaison with their fellow worshippers.
School register North Kyme Methodist chapel Sunday
Memories of Kyme Methodist Sunday school
In 1924 Ruth and Martha started at the Methodist chapel Sunday school. The superintendent
at the time was Mr Walt Fletcher, he travelled to the chapel each Sunday on his horse
Every year they had the anniversary outing to Skegness.
When Ruth and Martha reached their teenage years the girls joined “Band of Hope”,
they gathered on a Monday evening, On a Tuesday night the women’s guild would meet,
Mr Richards was in charge, he was known to the group as “Our Shepheard”.
Each anniversary the Sunday school children would march up the main street of North
Kyme singing songs and holding their banners. This was followed by tea and games
in Mr Swallows field.
On Good Friday a service was held at 3 “o clock in the afternoon followed by a salmon
tea. Each of the ladies would have their own tea table providing food such as plum
loaf and seed bread. This was known as the “Faith Tea”.
I first recall when I went to Sunday School at the age of 3, or so I’m told. We
went at 10 am ready to start at 10.15, in winter the big coke fire would be glowing
in the middle of the room; we would put our gloves and scarves on the guard to warm
up fir the walk home. We always started with a hymn and prayers and a responsive
service from the Sunday School Hymn book. It was then off to our classes, all in
different corners of the Sunday School room depending on your age. We did “tablets”
as they were called; each week was a different story about Jesus. When we had finished
we would take them home to show our parents.
Our anniversary day was a big event; we would be practicing for weeks and weeks
learning new songs. We each had a piece to learn, on the big day we would stand
up on the platform and do our little bit for the Sunday School. When the day arrived
on a Sunday in June we would all meet in the Sunday School ready for the 2.30 service.
We always had new clothes for the anniversary. When the men came to collect more
forms from the Sunday School room it meant the chapel was full of people, so full
the people who St on the forms had to sit sideways down the aisle. The chapel was
always full on Anniversary Day. We did two performances on the Sunday and an evening
performance on the Tuesday evening, that was the best night because we had tea in
the Sunday School followed by games in Miss Goodmans field. Later on in June we
had our Sunday School outing, always to the seaside. The bus would pick us up in
the morning, we thought we had travelled miles and miles in one day, a great time
was had by all.
At Christmas we did a Nativity Play with a Carol Service, we always had a Christmas
Party with games and Father Christmas.
The annual prize giving was held where we all received a book, if you had the top
marks you would receive two books as a reward. The marks were obtained by attending
Sunday School and Chapel on a Sunday night. If you got top marks your name was put
on a shield for that year.
We had a Harvest Festival where we would decorate the chapel. On a Sunday morning
we would take our baskets of goodies to Sunday School ready for the afternoon service,
we would then walk down the aisle as a good old harvest hymn was sung and give our
baskets to the preacher. On the Monday night we would have another service followed
by the sale of the harvest goods, we would all try to buy our own baskets back again.