North Kyme School was built by the Lord of the Manor and opened in 1866, having cost
£800 to build and included the attached headmasters house and 2 cottages. At this
time the school was rented by the school board and pupils paid to attend, probably
one old penny per week, but no accurate amount is recorded.
In 1870 the Elementary Education act was passed and compulsory attendance made and
children were not allowed to work in trade and factories.
In 1874 grants were made to the school and £10-£15 per year per child was paid to
the school board, the amount was based on average attendance.
In 1880 a bill became law which meant pupils could not leave school until they were
13 or 14 based on attendance and each child had to gain an education certificate
to enable them to leave.
Despite the new acts the North Kyme School board allowed 3 weeks holiday for children
to assist with the harvest, and a further 4 weeks for the“root crop ingathering”.(A
notice to this effect is displayed below).
During the early stages of the school, 3 classes were housed in the original brick
building, with a curtain pulled across the main room to divide it into 2 rooms and
the 3rd classroom in the room which was later used for the kitchen and latterly as
the school office.
In 1922 the Kesteven Education Committee requested a reduction in staff, and the
school was divided into 2 departments, but as Miss Smith and Miss Brumfield had begun
studying to qualify as unqualified teachers, the managers left the staffing as it
was, but no children under 5 would be admitted. The playground was asphalted in 1923
and a new wooden block of 2 classrooms was built in 1934. This allowed the former
3rd classroom to be used as a kitchen where the famous school dinners were cooked
and the other former classrooms were used for eating meals and also as the school
hall. Among the cooks were Mrs Crabtree, Miss Steph Wray, Mrs Barber, Mrs Andrews.
School meals ended in 1979 and the kitchen was converted and made into a staff room
Sport at the time when Mr King was head teacher consisted of playing football in
a field belonging to Mr Skinner (the field past the new village hall) and with no
goalposts or any other equipment being available, jackets were removed and used as
goalposts and boys played in their normal school clothes and shoes .The football
had to be provided by any one of the boys that was fortunate enough to have one.
Weekly trips to Sleaford swimming pool during summer term taught most pupils to swim
but it was an outdoor pool and mostly it was a case of swim or freeze!
Local resident Derek Gray tells us that at the outbreak of the second world war a
4ft deep trench was dug and zinc laid on top to act as a air raid shelter in case
of enemy attack. No bombs were dropped on the village, however a bomber and a training
aircraft collided in mid air just above sandpit farm causing the loudest bang anyone
had ever heard.
Derek also reminisces of how the newer and younger members of the school were forced
to sit nearest the door of the big hall as this was where a freezing draught blew
through. A you were older you got to sit nearer the teachers desk. When you reached
a certain age you would move to the older pupils school, which was in exactly the
same room, just the other side of a curtain!
During the night of 20th May 1952 fire completely destroyed the wooden classrooms
and the older children were transferred to temporary accommodation at Billinghay
school, and the younger pupils going back to the original brick building. (See log
book entry September 1952”
A new “temporary” wooden building replaced the burnt classrooms and were still in
full use until the school closure 53 years later.
Unfortunately, the fire destroyed many school records and as the headmaster, Mr King,
was involved in other village activities many of the village documents were destroyed.
115 pupils were on roll at the time of the fire. At this time pupils attended North
Kyme school until reaching the age of 14, when they were transferred to Billinghay
“horsa” for the last year of their education, or, if passing the 11 plus they transferred
to Sleaford Grammar School or High School at 11 years old. Some pupils opted to leave
North Kyme school and attend Sleaford Secondary Modern school, at 11 years old.
During 1993 Lincolnshire Education Authority conducted a viability study into North
Kyme School, as numbers had fallen to around 20. The governing body decided to oppose
the closure of the school and after many hours of meetings they were successful in
retaining the schools status and numbers on roll increased to around 40.
Unfortunately, numbers dwindled again and with the school falling into disrepair
and the “temporary” 53 year old wooden classrooms needing replacing.
North Kyme school was closed in 2005.
A few years before the closure of the school Nora Everard an elderly resident of
North Kyme came to the school to talk to the children about what life was like in
times past. The talk was recorded and written down.
1907 Complaints about irregular opening and closing of
1909 New desk order refused by Kesteven council. Told
desks must be repaired.
1909 Running water connected to hand basins
1910 Complaints about cruel punishment to child. Punishment
found to be not too cruel and justifiable to
keep order in class.
1913 The account outlay for the year £196 2s 3d. In june
the new dual desks arrived. The bell chain was
replaced and it was decided to ring the bell twice
each morning before the start of school.
1915 School closed for 2 weeks due to whooping cough and
measles, the 2 week root harvest holiday followed
1922 Poor keeping of registers noted.
1923 Playground to be asphalted
1926 Managers let the 2 school cottages by the gate, one
of these was let to the school caretaker.
1931 new furniture ordered. Two long benches in main
room are to be replaced by four dual desks.
Long benches in infants room to be repaired and three new
chairs ordered for teachers.
1933 School closed from 20th Jan to 6th Feb due to influenza.
Cycle shed erected for 20 cycles. Benches in
infants room replaced with desks. Concrete
path built from road to playground.
1934 Plans to enlarge school. A new cladded class room
to be built parallel to road on the edge of
the school yard.
1935 Earth filled toilets replaced with water closets.
The school now able to accommodate 140 scholars.
1942 Wartime air raid shelter precautions are put in place.
1945 26 pupils transferred from Anwick school along with
headmistress Mrs Richards,
1952 20th May wooden classroom burns down. Many school
records are destroyed in the fire.
1956 Small fire breaks out in care takers outbuilding.
Fire extinguished with extinguisher and Billinghay
fir brigade. May. Water heater and sink installed
in canteen. June... School closed for Lincolnshire show. 103
students on school roll. December... School closed for the building of serving
hatch in canteen.
1957 Boundary fence erected on playground. School has
outbreak of Asian flu.
1958 Heavy snow sees only 33 of 98 children turn up for
school. Power fails and school dinner is cooked
over the fire as well as across the road at George Wilson’s
shop. June.... School closed for opening of Pelham bridge Lincoln
by Queen Elizabeth II.
1961 Parent teacher association formed.
1962 Mrs Andrews becomes school cook
1968 Anwick school opened and children transferred form
1969 39 children on school roll.
1970s Children bussed to walcott for games as Kyme has no
1971 School starts swimming lessons at Lafford pool. Regular
hair inspections carried out by school nurse.
Cycling proficiency lessons start.
1973 14th November. School closed for royal wedding.
1974 Caretaker moves into school building.
1978 School sports day held on Mr Everards garden.
1979 38 on school roll. New indoor toilets used for
the first time and old toilet block demolished.
1980 Managers decide to sell school cottages and use
old school house for storage.
1884 Plans made to enlarge school as South Kyme school
closes and Kyme prepares to take on the pupils.
1985 Decision is made that South Kyme pupils move to
Billinghay. Plans for Kyme school enlargement
are abandoned . New roof put on 1866 hall
1986 Swimming lessons transferred to Sleaford as it is
now an indoor pool.
1993 School under threat of closure. As too few pupils
are on roll.
1994 Lincolnshire county council to let school remain
2003 Lincolnshire county council once again concerned
over low numbers on roll under “best value
review” for small schools.
2004 24 pupils on school roll.
2005 A decision is made to let the school close at the
end of the summer term. A church service is
held on 18th July to celebrate North Kyme School