ST Luke's church in North Kyme is quite unusual as far as English village churches
go. The main reason for this being that the church was designed and born one morning
by five local men sitting around a table in the Plough Inn. The date, 23rd April
North Kyme has had a long history of worship, stretching back to the 14th century,
a monastery once stood at the high point of Kyme, just adjacent (across the road)
to where Vacherie House is situated. Indeed the house was built from stone taken
from the ruins of the monastery. In a excerpt from the county records, in 1805
there were two churches, one in North Kyme and one in South Kyme. One vicar presided
over both. Very little is known about the original church. Since the demolition?
of the church North Kyme parishioners had to rely on neighbouring South Kyme reserving
a portion of their pews at St Mary & All Saints Church.
On a Tuesday morning on 23rd April 1872 a meeting of five men was called at the Plough
Edward Jackson The Vacherie
Samuel Coulson Ferry Farm
Mr Forman Langrick
Mr Watson The Plough Inn
Rev Edward Garvey Priest
The resolution of this meeting:
"It was resolved that a committee be appointed to take into consideration the building
of a church in the village of North Kyme"
The reason for the need of a church was stated in a circular signed by Mr. Edward
Jackson (chairman) and the Reverend E. Garvey (secretary)
The building of the new church "Was in order to provide a home in which the family
of god may meet together to worship"
Edward Jackson purchased from his own purse a piece of land at the edge of the village
on which to build the church. A little later a more suitable, central plot of land
became available for purchase. This was bought by Samuel Coulson. It was decided
between Samuel and Edward to use the central plot of land. Edward sold his plot
and donated the proceeds to start the build fund for the church.
By The end of the first year, 1873, £700 had been raised by personal subscriptions.
In 1874 the committee decided to accept a tender for the build from a firm of builders
from Lincoln, the price £644. Everything seemed to be in place but before the secretary
had sent the building firm an acceptance for the quote a letter was received from
the ecclesiastical commission demanding alterations to the plans that would add considerable
expense to the build. The start date had to be postponed until more money was raised
to incorporate the changes that the commission had requested.
The Reverend E. Garvey made many appeals and applied for numerous grants to to help
raise the extra money needed to cover the costs of the alterations. Despite huge
efforts, a year later the funds for the build had only increased by £100. Undeterred
the committee invited further estimates for the build, but instead of more competitive
quotes coming in around the £700 mark the estimates ran from £1,100 to £1,500. This
gives us and idea of how substantial the changes were that the ecclesiastical commission
had asked for.
Another year passed before a contract was signed with builder Mr Knight of Martin
for the price of £1,160. The contract was signed in June 1876. The fabric of the
build was completed in March 1877 and Mr Night the builder was paid an instalment
The church still had to be furnished. Mr Jackson from the Vacherie who had already
put a lot of time and effort into the building of the church donated the stained
glass window that is housed in the east wall. A harmonium was found in Boston for
£28, the committee had the choice of paying for the "superior" instrument either
with cash or in three annual instalments of £11. It was decided to pay cash. The
rest of the furnishings were donated by local people or friends of the church from
outside the village.
On Thursday June 7th 1877 Saint Luke's Church North Kyme was consecrated by the Lord
Bishop of Lincoln
It is recorded that on the day of the first service that so many worshippers turned
up that the majority of people had to be content to stand outside in the grounds.
Now that the church was built the committee's job was still not at an end, as though
it was now open for worship all the bills had not yet been paid and the funds had
to be raised to cover these bills. The committee had to borrow £240 at an interest
rate of 4%. This loan was not repaid until 1883 six years after the consecration.
A letter from the Honourable E,G. Finch-Hatton along with a cheque for £66.8.0 is
minuted in the committee's books to have paid off the outstanding amount owed on
The first person to be buried in the church yard was ironically Edward Jackson of
the Vacherie. He died in September 1880 and had been instrumental in seeing the
church project through to completion. Six months later Mr. Forman died and then
after all the debts owed had been paid Edward Garvey (the vicar of Kyme) also passed
The church has been steadily improved over the years and due to the generosity of
worshippers we have seen the supply of electricity, a new pipe organ, oak panels
to either side of the alter, communion rails, alter carpet and oil fired central
heating. 1977 saw a major refurbishment of the church including a new screen to
the rear, extensive new carpeting to the chancel and the rear area of the knave together
with complete decoration of the ceiling walls and windows.
Listed grade 2
Parish church. 1877, designed by Drury and Mortimer. Red brick with ashlar
chancel and south porch. West front has a single, central buttress, flanked by
pointed arch windows with recessed ashlar surrounds and tracery both 2 lights with
a quatrefoil. The gable is topped by an octagonal wooden louvered bellcote with
small octagonal spire, the whole supported by the central buttress. The north
nave wall has 4 tall pointed arch lancets, and the chancel has 2 smaller lancets
with recessed ashlar surrounds and tracery.
The chancel east wall has a large pointed arch window, with recessed ashlar surround
and tracery, 3 lights topped by 2 quatrefoils and a large central trefoil. The south
chancel wall has 2 small lancets with recessed ashlar surrounds and tracery, the
nave has 3 tall lancets, and beyond a projecting gabled porch, with pointed archway
with double chamfered surround and ashlar impost blocks. Interior not inspected.